March 22, 2007

Life's measurands..

Coming back to the earlier thread of thought, whats really important in life is perfectly illustrated by this poem, which is one of my favourite short poems..

WHEN first my way to fair I took
Few pence in purse had I;
And long I used to stand and look
At things I could not buy.

Now times are altered: if I care
To buy a thing, I can;
The pence are here and there's the fair,
But where's the lost young man?

To think that two and two are four
And neither five nor three;
The heart of man has long been sore
And long 'tis like to be.

A.E. Housman


reminds me of a hindi couplet..

"chaahe jitne ikatthe kar lo
sona, chandi, heere, moti
yaad rakhna aye yaar mere bas
kafan ko koi jeb nahi hoti.."

The little verse aptly ilustrates the point that materialistic achievements are only short-lived.

Measure your life, with not the number of breaths you take, but with the number of moments that take your breath away!
Measure your life, with not the dreams that you see when you are asleep, but with the number of dreams that don't let you sleep until they are achieved!
Measure your life, with not the number of times you stumbled and fell, but the number of times you got up and fought your way to victory!

Drawing from yesterday's post, when one thinks on these lines:
Is it WRONG to choose any of the three lives?
Or is it wrong to CHOOSE any of the three lives?

Av

1 comment:

Sankalp said...

i think it is wrong to CHOOSE any type of life beforehand as such. u dont decide how u r gonna live n thn frame ur life accordingly or anything as such. life for me is to b lived in moments as they come and then may be when u look back u may feel tht i hv lived life in some or d other way or if i m lucky enough........ i would have lived all d three ways of life in one!