June 14, 2009

Playing for Change



"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.."

Every once in a while, blogwise, I get into one of these ruts (and given the above line, closer to the grave). Then comes along something that kicks me out of the rut and steers me clear of the grave.

Every once in a while, I also develop a(n extremely undesirable) feeling about what I'm doing in life being superior to what most other people are doing. Then comes along something that makes me literally stop dead in my tracks and re-examine how much value am I adding to the world in terms of things that really matter.

And once in a while, there comes along something which does both of the above, and I just have to share it with all of you. :D

Playing for Change is a worldwide multimedia project aimed at bringing people together through the all-pervasive power of music. Each of the tracks embedded below have been performed by multiple musicians, geographically separated by thousands of miles across five continents, The ensemble of extremely talented musicians includes musicians who are members of a choir or structured music group alongside musicians performing on the streets around the world, working towards a common dream.
You can find a more detailed explanation here.

When I first stumbled onto this project while rambling around in cyberspace, I was stunned to hear the performances of varied origin merging seamlessly into each other to create musical entities of such infinite beauty. When the street musicians perform, calling out to a new world of hope, you can see the moisture in their eyes, and feel the years of experiences peeking through the quaver in their voices. The emotions in the voices and instruments all around the world have been beautifully captured in a way unparalleled by anything else known to me, that has been produced under constraints of this nature.


Stand by Me




Chanda Mama
(No that's not a typo, try out the vid!)




No More Trouble




One Love




Don't Worry




Please help spread the word around by putting up a banner on your blogs like I've done on mine. More of us need to hear of this endeavour.

On a pensive note, rather than write equations and programs, I yearn to write this melody of hope, love, brotherhood and acceptance across the lives of people. To me, THAT is making a significant difference. This is really the kind of stuff that I really want to do with my life. I shall. To quote one of the tracks, A Change is Gonna Come... :D

Luv-n-Luck,
Av

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool dude