July 14, 2008

Blogging on the "FLY"!!

For a few days, I was thinking about what would be a good follow up to the last post. Then it struck me that yet another one of my compositions is in a similar vein to the last one, in terms of the hope, possibility and anticipation. Also the theme of this one is also loosely based on the idea of rising to the next level. What is interesting is that this composition also plays upon Death and Life using the word "fly". However, in juxtaposition to the last post, the word "fly" denotes going away from Death, and not closer to it. These two compositions were written by me as an exercise in twisting ideas and words around to suit one's intentions. (Its not actually as evil as it sounds.. Hehe..)

The real story behind the curtain is that ever since the first time I read William Wordsworth's and Robert Herrick's contrasting poems on daffodils in fifth grade, I always wanted to compose about something from two points of view. With these two compositions, I have not exactly done that, in the sense that both the compositions are in a optimistic vein. However I have endeavoured to treat a single word in two exactly opposite contexts. While the last song dwells on the absolute, unchanging finality, this one talks about

WINDS OF CHANGE

You've lived this life
One moment too long,
Just leave it behind
With me come along,

You're trapped in your world
You're trapped in your mind
Its time you wake up and
Leave this illusion behind.. (1)

Take off your masks
Shed off your skins,
Get out of these
Cities of ruins,

Lets sail to those lands
far beyond the sea
And when we reach there
You'll be glad you came with me.. (2)

Fly with me my friends,
Fly with me tonight..
Fly high my brothers,
Fly by my side..

Lets fly..
To where the children of tomorrow spread their wings,
Lets fly..
To where every moment new joys brings,
Lets fly..
To the world which yet seems out of our range,
Lets fly..
Gliding along the winds of change..

Now its time, to move ahead,
Now its time, to leave the pain,
Now its time, to come back from the dead,
Now its time, to live again...

Just as a sidenote, this was the song that I'd sung for my first-ever public performance with the guitar, and that after about 5 years, I sung it again for my guitar students last sunday. :D

Luv-n-Luck,
Av

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there in your 1st performance when u sang that song...

Anonymous said...

n i also remember u gt 1st prize for singing it...\m/

Anonymous said...

n i also remember u gt 1st prize for singing it...\m/

AV said...

wow! somebody who was at the NCSC performance! why did you post under "anon" man!
lemme know who you are, i'd be glad to get back in touch.. mail me at
wiztronix@gmail.com

Shruti Shah said...

Cool piece. You know the last bit reminds me of Tagore's poem - Where The world is without fear.

And I see you have an anon fan.

Anonymous said...

Hey AV!
Lovely poem.
Its romantic... not in the conventional sense of the term but in the way it looks at life and the things... good things, better things it holds as possible.